Wednesday, March 9, 2011

day 68

Talk about hectic, stressful and in the end, emotional!
Today, was all about my doctors appointment.  Being that I'm turning 35 before this baby is born, I've decided to do the screening for Downs Syndrome.  My first reaction, like many, was "there's no need to find out, cause it doesn't matter either way."  But after a long discussion with my doctor, there are many reasons to do the screening.  The screening consists of an ultrasound between 11 and 13 weeks, a blood test then and then another blood test at 16 weeks.  Between those tests, they can determine with 90% accuracy, if the baby has Downs.  The ultrasound was scheduled at the worst time of day and the worst day of the week for me.  I had to do some juggling to make it work.
I went into the ultrasound alone, I've done this before, it's nothing new, right?  Well, I didn't know.  Had I to do it over again, I WISH my husband had been there.  It began as normal, watching the baby on the screen which is always so miraculous to me.  Even more so this time cause the baby is small enough that the entire baby fits on the screen.  It seems even more real than at 20 weeks.  But the second part is what was hard, listening to the genetics doctor come in and go over the results.  It wasn't the most positive news.  Not what I was hoping to hear just before leaving on a trip to Hawaii.  I held it together (I'm still amazed) and cried my heart out on the way home.
Here is the best part, the first pictures of my baby!
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad I had to find out about this on your blog. Why didn't you call me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of the sad results. Keep in mind there is a whole spectrum of possible results and abilities in these kind of situations. If you ever want to talk about it, you know I have experience with a disabled child, plus good friends specifically with Downs.

    ReplyDelete