Friday, April 1, 2011

day 91

Today, I had the amnio.  It was quite nerve racking.  My parents and my husband were there for support.  I know many wouldn't risk having an amnio, but given my results of my Integrated Screening, I felt like I could go through with it and I'd be blessed.  It was my way of preparing for what was to come.  We've been asked to be prepared, so knowing that, I knew the amnio would go fine.  Hours before, the doctor came in and went over the risks and benefits.  She came in and explained what would happen exactly, what it will feel like, and what the higher risks were now that I had been on blood thinners.  It rocked me a little, listening to the now added concern of excessive bleeding.  She didn't even seem 100% sure herself that we should do it.  She said, "this is elective, it's not something we HAVE to do."  It was as if she were talking me out of it.  I said to her, "I am okay doing this, if YOU are okay doing this."  Her response was, "I will take a good look around first, before I do it."  I liked it.  I liked knowing she wasn't going to give me an answer until she could see more.  I gathered the main concern was whether or not she would have to go through the placenta.  She said, "it's about 50/50 chance, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't."  So in those hours before, I prayed.  I prayed that she wouldn't have to go through it and it would go smoothly.  Sure enough, it went perfectly.  It was painful as can be.  It took two pokes to get the fluid she needed, but in the end it was perfect.  The baby stayed out of the way and at the end kinda waved at the needle.  She expected me to bruise quite heavily cause of the blood thinners, but I didn't even do that.  Two tiny pinholes hardly noticeable.  It is amazing!

Tonight after the amnio, my dear dear friend Suzanne came up to comfort me and bring me all sorts of treats to get through the week, Cadbury eggs, Peanut M&M's, magazines, red box movies, and a yummy dinner from Cafe Rio.  She sat and we talked for hours.  It's not often we can sit and talk for long periods of time without being interrupted.  It was nice.  I enjoyed every second of it.  While she was there, I had her get out the picture of the baby from today's ultrasound.  It was then that I told her it's a boy.  But it was her comment that got me future thoughts of doubt.  She said, "he looks like Jett."  It was a sentence that brought so much comfort to me.  I looked at it many times after that and said to myself, "she's right, he's perfect, just like Jett."

2 comments:

  1. So it was YOU I was praying for. =)(Suzanne sent out a tweet about a friend in the hospital.) I've heard of people "feeling" the prayers of many and temple prayers--so amazing, the power of prayer. =) So glad everything has turned out ok (I read ahead in your blog). I had babies at 35 and 40, and it wasn't easy but I don't regret it a minute! Oh, and I'm amazed that you've remembered your 365 at all, all things considered! You may not have taken pictures every day, but the ones you have posted are gorgeous! So glad you are sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete