Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Please keep this one a secret!

This one is SO not a great image!  First, the fact that I'm in it (eeek, super scary) and second that this is hardly creative or a well crafted image.  Tonight, Suzanne and I had the opportunity to go listen to Scott Bourne an amazing speaker who is an incredibly amazing photographer.  He's published several books and is known for his wildlife photography all over!  He was so inspiring and spoke about making pictures rather than taking pictures.  His journey to make a particular picture he had seen in his mind took him 12 years to do, and oh so worth it.  But... so much for that tonight.  This was all about just taking a picture so I could post one for today in the challenge.  I do have to say that although this is a horrible image it does sum up Suzanne and I quite well.  At the end of every photo camp, photo walk, photo group we tend to get silly and sometimes that turns into creativity, and other times it's just silliness.  Tonight was no different.  It went something like this...
me:  Suzanne, I haven't taken a picture for today.
Suzanne:  Let's take one.
me:  Okay, hold up your book and go like this, like it's a big secret.
Suzanne won one of Scott Bourne's books, "88 Secrets to Wildlife Photography"
I held up my camera with my very unsteady, left hand and it pointed at us, click... and this is the picture of the day.
As I laid in bed tonight, I cringed at the thought that this was my picture for the day.  Suddenly, new, creative, better ideas came to mind.  Why didn't I think of that sooner?  This is the reason I'm doing this challenge, so I can get better at thinking on the spot.  I want creativity to become more natural and instantaneous.  Right now, I can always think of something but sometimes that thought is later when it's too late.  I want the ideas to come to me at a moments notice.  This is a lesson for me.  I need spend less time taking pictures and more time making pictures.  Thank you Scott Bourne!

No comments:

Post a Comment