Thursday, January 17, 2013

1-17-2013

I'd like to pat myself on the back for this one!  This is my latest genius idea... at least I think so. I have gone through so many attempts for a chore chart.  I've bought things, I've made things, I've tried every idea in the book as far as I am concerned.  I was talking to my friend on the phone and she was describing her latest attempt to start a new chore chart idea.  I was determined to come up with something new.  I spent the day thinking of what it was that would motivate my kids.  I think I've figured it out.  

Here it is... something I've never seen done actually.  I am a list maker and like most people, love crossing things off.  I decided to list 5 or 6 chores 10-20 times (enough times that it should take them about 2 weeks to accomplish) and each time they finished a task they could cross it off the list.  I went to Target with the kids earlier in the day and let them pick out a $10 item.  Jett and Brooke picked out Skylander figures and because Sky couldn't decide, she has a $10 gift card to use when she's crossed everything off her list.  

It isn't even that nice of a chart, simply typed it up quickly, printed and stuck on the fridge.  I hand wrote their names in random places, along with the prize they are trying to earn.  Really quite simple!  In case you're wondering what I listed on their charts, I'll tell you.  I wanted to keep it simple, something they could accomplish.  It's so important that they finish it and get their prize at the end so they are encouraged to do another chart.  I won't keep up the $10 toy, but will put rewards we already do but this will make it seem like they are earning them; such as a lunch date with mom or dad, or going to a movie.  Things like that.   For Brooke, my 5 year old: clear couch of folded clothes, match up basket of socks, unload silverware, pick up all of Radds toys, play with Raddd while mom makes dinner and brush teeth.  For Jett, my 7 year old: clear couch of folded clothes, unload dishwasher, match up basket of socks, bring down dirty laundry, read a chapter in a book, play with Radd while mom makes dinner, brush teeth, and for Sky my 9 year old: clear off couch of folded clothes, unload dishwasher, wipe off bathroom counter, vacuum family room/living room, play with Radd while mom makes dinner, brush teeth.  I used this to my advantage.  The things that drive me the most crazy... begging for stacks of clothes to be taken up, begging Jett to read a chapter, and begging the kids to help watch Radd while I fix dinner were all taken care of with these lists.  I've realized there are a few other things that I can put on the next list.  Like hang up your backpack when you get home and be in bed on time.  I wanted to promote teamwork, so they all have the couch of clothes to clear off, but if they all do it, they can all mark it off.  I'll be sure to post when this first list is finished to let you know how it turned out. 
 


Update:  It's day 2 and my kids have never been so motivated.  They are anxious to cross it off their list.  The folded clothes have not sat on the couch waiting to be put away at all and it's amazing.  It's my least favorite part about the laundry.  The hours and hours it sits folded waiting to be taken upstairs and put away and the countless times I ask everyone to take up their stack is so frustrating for me.  So this is so refreshing.  The dishwasher is instantly unloaded.  The first morning, before school, Jett unloaded the dishwasher and read a chapter.  If this continues like it has, I'll stick to my statement of this was a genius idea!

Update:  Its been a week and a half and my kids are doing amazing!!!  They are still going strong.  I would imagine in a weeks time they will all be done and I will post new charts.  I have heard my kids even complain... "ugggh she's doing all the chores."  It's really quite great!  I'll listen to that complaint any day.  Next chart I will adjust a little.  I have found that some things I need to list less times and other things more.  I should have listed "read a chapter" way more times on Jett's chart.  He read all the chapters in two days.  Should have seen that one coming!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment